Wednesday, April 1, 2015

The Sunshine State

I know a lot of people are either on spring break this week or at least dreaming of warmer climes, so I thought I'd recap a Panthers/ Flyers game I attended with my mom over Thanksgiving 2013.  

We were visiting family in Florida and I bought tickets for Club Red at the BB&T Center.  They were so cheap at the time, the Panthers were pretty terrible, and the Flyers were coming off a 6-0-1 run where they scored 27 goals.  (Seems unbelievable now!)

Anyway, the Flyers lost 3-1 with Wayne Simmonds scoring the lone goal for the Orange and Black.  

I will never forget how many Flyers fans were there - likely transplants or folks visiting for the holiday - and how empty the seats were - they even put tarps over a whole section in an attempt to downplay the lack of bodies in the seats.

Also - there were cheerleaders and a loud cat roar every time the home team scored a goal.  Could you imagine cheerleaders in the stands in South Philly?  They barely held on to the Ice Girls this season!

Fast forward to today where the Panthers were more in the hunt for a wildcard spot than the Flyers - and now our team is merely "playing for pride" ... Sigh.

Overall it was a fun experience going to Sunrise but it's always strange watching a game in enemy territory.  Nothing as bad as MSG though - stay tuned.

Looking for a breakout game for Jake tonight against the Pens.  Jeez, I hate Pittsburgh. 



No comments:

Post a Comment